We believe that we are not just a netball club who gathers on the court each week. We believe that we play a far more significant role in our local community. We know our influence goes beyond and we take pride in fostering an inclusive, safe and fun environment, whilst having a positive impact on those around us. – Essendon Netball Club
1. Tell us about the sustainable environment you are creating at Essendon Netball Club
We believe that we are not just a netball club who gathers on the court each week. We believe that we play a far more significant role in our local community. We know our influence goes beyond and we take pride in fostering an inclusive, safe and fun environment, whilst having a positive impact on those around us.
Our club is continually looking for ways we can reduce our impact on the environment and we are proud of our initiatives which aim to reduce, reuse and recycle where possible:
- Reduce single use plastics: All players receive a reusable drink bottle at the start of our playing season/s, and are encouraged to bring these to training and game days. Each drink bottle was labelled with the player’s full name to reduce the risk of losing it and needing to be replaced. The drink bottle design was carefully chosen to utilise high quality recycled materials to maximise its durability and environmental standards. We are conducting an audit of our operations to identify other opportunities to implement
- Reuse uniforms: We have a club uniform Buy Swap Sell page to encourage the redistribution of uniforms. This not only reduces textile waste it also reduces the cost burden on our member families.
- Recycle: This year we participated in a netball recycling program managed by the sponsor Flight Centre (pictured), handing in 36 used club balls, which were redistributed to other areas in need of sporting equipment.
- Green Transportation: As best as we can, we encourage our members to find ways to car pool and to find suitable eco-travel alternatives
Sustainability is more than what many people consider it to be, i.e. environmental action. Here are a few other ways that our club is working towards a better and more sustainable future:
- Good Health & Wellbeing: Netball is an active and healthy pursuit and participation promotes physical health & wellbeing and is a great foundation for healthy lives
- Gender Equity: We are committed to breaking down gender barriers and embracing diversity at our club, regardless of how our members identify
- Quality Education: Netball helps our members learn essential life skills, teamwork and discipline, which nurtures confidence and capability on and off the court
2. Do you think this movement is important to your players/coaching/ netball community?
Our players, parents and broader community share in our club’s commitment as it reflects many of our shared values. Sustainability means a healthier environment for our junior players to grow up in, and it clearly demonstrates the commitment to their health & wellbeing. The economic benefits also come into play, as the more we can embrace eco-friendly practices, the club can keep costs down, thus making it more accessible for families to participate in the sport. The more resources available ensures that our club can run efficiently and ensure we serve the community for many years to come.
3. How did you get these initiatives off the ground? Advice for other clubs?
Embracing sustainability has been well supported by our club community yet we do recognise that it can be challenging at times due to limited resources. We could not achieve anything without reaching out for support and I would encourage clubs considering some changes to do the same.
- Shared Values – We ensure that any initiative we take on is aligned with the club’s ethos and this is clearly promoted and understood by all
- Committee Alignment – We have a wonderfully committed bunch of volunteers who all share the same interests in making a positive impact, so introducing new opportunities are generally tabled and warmly welcomed
- Local Partnerships – Our club is supported by some wonderful local businesses who support us to implement our programs, including our reusable water bottles (financially supported by our gold sponsor LG Logistics)
4. Do you have other ambitions to grow a sustainable environments?
Absolutely we do! We would love to build on what we have achieved so far, continue to implement greener practices and have a positive impact on our local environment.